Friday, August 26, 2016

The Friday Five

  1. TV: American Odyssey. In the last week I started this new show on Netflix. I'm only a few episodes into it, but so far it has been really good. If you haven't seen it, here's a quick setup: an American strike force takes out a terrorist leader, but they stumble onto some evidence they shouldn't have found. They are then taken out, presumably by American forces in an attempt to cover up that evidence. However, there's one problem: our main character, Odelle Ballard, survives & has a copy of the evidence. If you like government drama/mystery. This one seems to be a good pick. Like I said, I'm only a few episodes in. It could go bad quick, but so far, I've really enjoyed American Odyssey.
  2. Music: Live At Fillmore East by The Allman Bros. Band. Today I'm highlighting a classic, & I have to restrain myself because I love this album so much. Yes, it's a double album with only 7 songs, but that just means you get to hear the improvisational genius of Duane Allman & Dickey Betts. This is the best live album ever recorded. There will be people who disagree with that statement, but they're wrong. You ease into it with a couple of short tracks, & by short  I mean 4.5 to 5 minute songs, but by the end you get to hear the brothers in all their glory on Whipping Post which comes in at just over 23 minutes, but every second is perfection. If you're serious about good music, especially great guitar playing, & haven't purchased your copy of this one, you need to stop what you're doing right now & either purchase a hard copy or download it.
  3. Quote. "Three categories: 1. Disobedience. 2. Angry obedience. 3. Loving obedience. The great divide is not between 1 and 2 but between 2 and 3." Ray Ortlund
  4. Social Media: Joe Bonamossa on Instagram. Joe is one of the best guitar players around these days, & he's also a rabid guitar collector. His Instagram account is not only a treasure trove of cool guitars, but Joe regularly posts videos of his playing. Guitar nerds & blues lovers should give Joe a follow on Instagram.
  5. Book: Designed To Lead. Eric Geiger & Kevin Peck have a new book coming out next week that focuses on developing leadership in a gospel context. The church has the potential to be the greatest leadership development organization on earth, but too often we squander our opportunities. I'm looking forward to this book big time. I've been fortunate enough to be a part of the publisher's book launch team which means I've gotten some early access to some stuff, & I'm excited about the copies I've got coming my way. Check out the Designed To Lead website for more info & some downloadable resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment