Friday, May 20, 2016

The Friday Five

  1. Book: Living By The Book by Dr. Howard HendricksThis is possibly the most important book I ever bought in college or seminary. The great thing though is that it's not really a textbook. It's not overly academic in its approach. In classic Hendricks style, it's approachable for everybody. If you're wanting to grow your Bible study habit & dive deeper, I'd encourage you to check it out. I gave a copy away 15 years ago to a student, & I recently bought a new copy & am in the process of rereading it.
  2. Follow: Taylor Guitars on Instagram. If you're a guitar geek like me, this is a must follow. I've been playing Taylor Guitars for a long time, & while there are a lot of great guitars out there, for me, this is the one.
  3. TV: Daredevil on Netflix. Season 2 of Daredevil just wrapped up, & while as a whole, I didn't enjoy it as much as Season 1, it was still solid. Season 1 is incredible, & Season 2 has some great moments, & I think is going to set up next season really well. If you saw the old Ben Affleck film based on this character, you owe it to yourself to watch this show to wash that bad taste out of your mouth. It's really well done.
  4. Quote: "Attending church is like exercise. If you only do it twice a year, it's gonna hurt." Sam Rainer
  5. Music: Drive by Bela Fleck. This is a great, pure bluegrass, album from the master of the banjo. In addition to Bela's genius, it also features the likes of Sam Bush, Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas, Stuart Duncan, & Mark O'Connor. It's some of the best playing that you'll ever hear, & the end of Sam Bush's mandolin break on "Whitewater" still makes my jaw drop, even though I've heard it hundreds of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment