Friday, March 25, 2016

The Friday Five

I'm starting something new here at the blog that will do a couple of things. First, it will force me to be a little more consistent in producing content. Secondly, it will be a place where I can get the word out about stuff that I'm reading, watching, or listening to that I think you would enjoy as well. Every week I'll give you five things I think are worth checking out. It may be some music, a book, a quote, someone you should be following on social media, or something that you can completely nerd out to. I hope you enjoy it.

With all that said, here's the inaugural Friday Five.
  1. Music: Adoption by Ghost Ship. This is not a new song, but I'm still surprised at how many people still haven't discovered Ghost Ship. This band is absolutely incredible. The depth of songwriting of this group is a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of the "top 40" kind of Christian music out there. If you're into a singer/songwriter/Americana kind of sound, you have to check them out. "Adoption is a track off their new album "Costly," & it's great. In fact, our worship team will be opening our Easter services this weekend with it as we look at how Christ's death & resurrection invites us to be adopted into God's family.
  2. Book: The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis. I recently re-read this one on a flight, & it's incredible. If you're only interaction with the Chronicles of Narnia is "The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe," then do yourself a favor & read "The Magician's Nephew." It's basically the back story of how Narnia came to be. An absolute must read.
  3. Follow: The International Space Station on Instagram. If you're on Instagram this is one of the coolest follows out there. They make your landscape & sunset pics on Instagram look like bad finger painting. And considering it orbits the Earth at 5 miles per second, you can get a wide variety of shots.
  4. Podcast: Signposts With Russell Moore. Sometimes navigating the tension between faith & culture is difficult. In his weekly podcast Dr. Moore addresses some of the issues in the news or that he's questioned about regularly. In a brief but thought provoking platform, Dr. Moore encourages Christians to think biblically & wisely about the issues of life.
  5. Nerd Corner: Star Wars-The Clone Wars. People who know me know that I am a HUGE Star Wars fan. OK, I'm not a fan. I fall somewhere on the spectrum of nerd to super nerd. In the last few years I discovered Star Wars-The Clone Wars on Netflix. However, when I ask other people if they've ever seen it, I usually get either an "I've never heard of it" or "I assumed it was just as bad as the prequels." If you're a Star Wars fan, you need to watch this. It does what Episodes 1 through 3 failed to do: make you care. The characters are well developed, & the multiple episode story arcs are one of the best aspects of the show. Do yourself a favor & binge watch this great series.


No comments:

Post a Comment